Wednesday 1 November 2023

Baby blues

 I cursed as my computer crashed, the whole system had gone down again. Our IT people said it would take all weekend to sort the mess out. Armed with that knowledge I headed out of the office, getting home early would be a bonus. I would get to spend some time with my kids before we packed them off to my parents for the weekend.

My wife Mandy suggested the kids stay with my parents, her sister and brother-in-law were coming over for dinner. Mandy said they had something they wanted to discuss, she didn't elaborate on what it was.

I parked on the drive in front of the double garage, Mandy would park alongside my car when she arrived home. I thought that maybe I could make a start on clearing out the garage this weekend, that way I could at least park my car inside. When we bought the house two years ago we shifted a load of stuff out of the granny annexe above it. The original plan was for Mandy's mother to move into the annexe. Sadly she passed away suddenly, we never bothered clearing the annexe after that.


I walked over to our neighbour to collect the kids, Mrs Kingston agreed to watch them after school until either I or Mandy arrived home. Our 10 year old son Kevin was keen to tell me he had been picked for the school football team, football was pretty much all Kevin talked about. Our 8 year old daughter Milly was the exact opposite of Kevin, very quiet and thoughtful. She preferred to read or draw, as opposed to playing team games.

Once the kids had changed out of their uniforms we sat in the lounge. Milly told me all about the new book she was reading, she also showed me some sketches she had done recently. For a kid of her age the sketches were really good. Kevin talked about the weekend's football fixtures. The team he supported had a big match this weekend. I said if he was back home in time, he could watch it on the television.

Both of the kids ran to greet Mandy when she walked indoors, she looked surprised to see me home.

"This is a nice surprise, you and the kids here before I get home. How come Rob?"

"Computer system went down earlier. The IT guys say it will take them all weekend to sort it out, everyone got sent home early. I figured as Jane and Terry were coming over later, it did me a favour getting out early." Mandy nodded and smiled, she headed off upstairs to get changed.

When Mandy was changed we got the kids bags sorted out, we took them to my parents house. Dad loved it when Kevin was there, they both shared a love of football. My Mum wasn't a great artist, but she sat and encouraged Milly when she sketched or got out her colouring book.

"Now you kids behave yourselves for Nan and Grandad." Mandy called out as we left.

On the drive home I did think about pressing Mandy about tonight, what was so important that they wanted to talk about? As Mandy hadn't disclosed the reason earlier during the week, I had no reason to think she would say anything now. The one thing that I haven't let on to Mandy, or anyone else in her family for that matter. I don't like Terry, never have, probably never will. Tonight was going to be a real test of my acting abilities, sitting there trying to act like best mates with someone I hated.

I helped Mandy get the food ready. While she finished that off, I set the table. Now all we had to do was wait for Jane and Terry to arrive. Jane showed them in, I greeted Jane with the usual hug, I just verbally acknowledged Terry.

Before and during dinner the conversation was light and general, we spoke about the kids and a host of other things. With the table cleared we all sat there drinking and talking. I refilled the girls wine glasses, begrudgingly I got Terry another beer. There was an atmosphere in the room, several times I noticed Terry looking in my direction. I didn't like the smirk on his face. Nobody seemed to want to raise whatever it was we were supposed to be talking about, so I decided to get the elephant out of the room

"So, what was it that you two needed to talk to Mandy and I about?" I asked then sat back.

The three of them looked at each other, Mandy was the only one who would look at me.

"Rob, you know that Jane and Terry are having trouble getting pregnant." Mandy looked at me, but I could see a look in her eyes. "Well we recently discussed it, I offered to help them out and carry a baby for them."

"Are you sure you want to do that? I recall that after MIlly was born, you said never again."

"I didn't think I did, but this would be helping them out." Mandy answered, there was a look on her face that told me there was more to this.

"Okay, so what's the plan? I guess they go to an IVF clinic, fertilise an egg and when there is an embryo, it gets planted inside you? Is that about it?"

"Not really." Mandy replied. Before I could ask anymore Jane found her voice.

"We cannot afford IVF treatment. We were hoping Terry could just get Mandy pregnant."

I sat there and looked at all three of them, I wasn't sure I understood what had just been said. "Let me get this clear. You want Mandy to carry a baby for you, but you can't afford IVF. So your answer is for Terry to get her pregnant, is that right?" Jane nodded. "So how will he get her pregnant?" That wasn't a stupid question on my part, I just wanted one of them to say it out loud.

"Well, we thought they could have sex and Mandy would get pregnant." Jane looked sheepish as she answered my question.

I sat upright and looked around the table. "No fucking way, absolutely not!" I replied.

"But Rob, it's so they can have a baby." Mandy whined.

"I dont give a shit. Either it's done IVF or he can wank off into a cup, that way I can put it in a syringe and squirt it inside you. That is the only way this is going to happen." Terry glared at me, and I returned the stare.

"I knew you would be a pain in the arse about this. All we want is a baby, for christ sake." Terry replied loudly.

"I have no issue with Mandy carrying a baby for you. But there is no way you get to have sex with her to get her pregnant. It's IVF or the paper cup, anything else is off the table."

"See, I told you we shouldn't have said anything." Terry looked to Mandy and Jane for support. I stood up and paced around the kitchen, I returned and stood at the end of the table. I placed my hands palm down and leaned forward.

"Just so we are all absolutely clear on this, I will say this one more time. "Mandy has my blessing to carry a baby for you two, how she gets pregnant is the problem. It's either done with IVF or a paper cup. No way does dickhead here get to have sex with my wife. No wonder you have had a smirk on your ugly fucking face all night. Think yourself lucky I haven't kicked the shit out of you. As you chose to discuss this previously without my knowledge, says it all. Now I have something to discuss with my wife. To that end I want you to leave my house."

"But we thought...." Jane spoke up.

"NOW! I WANT YOU TO LEAVE MY HOUSE!" I yelled and stood back. Mandy showed Jane and shithead to the door. She placed her arm on Janes and said something to her quietly. I was leaning against the counter when Mandy walked back into the kitchen.

She stood there, hands on her hips. "What the hell was all that for? Could you have been any ruder?"

I crossed my arms. "Could you have been any more stupid?" Mandy just stared at me. "For your information I don't like being excluded from important discussions, especially those concerning my wife."

"It wasn't a discussion, Rob. It was more like they floated the idea to me."

"And like a fucking idiot you went along with their stupid scheme. Mandy, I am going to tell you something, maybe it's something I should have said ages ago. I don't like Terry, I never have and never will. That prick has sat there all night with a stupid smirk on his face, now I know why. As for his comment about not telling me, that shows how fucking dumb he is."

"I can see why he thought telling you was a bad idea. I never thought you would react this way."

"I don't believe what I am hearing. What do you think would have happened if he had gotten you pregnant by having sex with you?"

"We assumed you would be upset, but would have gotten over it when we explained why."

"Wrong assumption, Mandy. If you had slept with that idiot, we would be going through a divorce." Mandy gasped. "In case you have forgotten, I had a vasectomy after Milly was born. You go and get pregnant now and we know it won't be mine. No matter the circumstances, if you get pregnant we get divorced. You must be mad if you thought I would get over you and fuckwit having sex."

"You would divorce me for helping my sister have a baby? That's heartless Rob." Mandy stood defiantly looking at me.

"I wouldn't divorce you for carrying a baby for Jane, but I would divorce you for having sex with that idiot she's married to."

"You do know if you divorce me I'll get the house and the kids."

"Don't threaten me Mandy, not with my kids. You start that and I will play dirty, very dirty. If you do sleep with fuckwit, I seriously hope you don't. Then yes I will file for a divorce. I won't throw you out of the house. I'll stay here with the kids, you can move into the annexe above the garage."

"I can't move in there. It's filthy and needs decorating."

"Maybe you can ask your sister and dipshit to help you clean it up. Although I doubt he will be much help, what with any possible injuries I will inflict on him." I walked past Mandy, heading for the stairs.

"So that's it then, no further discussion?"

"We can discuss it further, just leave out the bit about dipshit fucking you and we can talk!" I headed upstairs to bed. Mandy came to bed shortly after me. With the kids away we would normally have some hot sex, the temperature in the bedroom tonight was sub-zero. Mandy tried to cuddle me, I turned away and ignored her. I heard her quietly sobbing. Normally I would cuddle and comfort her, but not tonight. Maybe not any night, depending on if she came to her senses or not.

In the morning i took a shower and went downstairs, normally we would have had sex. I was sitting at the table when Mandy came downstairs, unusually she was dressed ready to go out.

"I'm going shopping." I watched as she turned and left the house.

I spent the morning getting the last of the junk from the annexe and tidying up the garage. Mandy gave me a funny look when she arrived home.

"What are you doing, Rob?"

"Just clearing the annexe and garage out, in case we need the space." She stormed off, clearly she knew what I meant. About twenty minutes later Mandy walked out and got into her car, she never said a word before driving off. I went indoors to make a coffee, as I walked in the phone rang.

"Hello."

"Rob, it's Jane. Is Mandy there?"

"Nope, she just left. I have no idea where she's gone as we are not talking right now."

"Is it because of last night?" Jane asked.

"What do you think, Jane? We were perfectly okay until the three of you dropped your proposal on me."

"What happens if Mandy gets pregnant and it's yours?"

"Highly unlikely, I had a vasectomy after Milly was born."

"Oh. I'll call Mandy on her mobile phone." Jane replied and hung up. Clearly she was pissed off with me as well.

Jane's reply bothered me when I told her I'd had a vasectomy. I wondered if their plan was to try and fool me into thinking the baby was mine. Even if I hadn't had the snip, I would have demanded a DNA test.

I drank my coffee and returned to clearing up the garage, all the junk was piled to one side, I was going to borrow my Dad's trailer to take it to the local tip. After taking a shower I sat down to watch the TV. Kevin's team had won their game. I was surfing through the channels when Mandy arrived home.

"Your sister called for you." I said as Mandy walked through to the kitchen.

"Yep, spoke to her earlier." Was her reply.

It looked like I was in for a night of the silent treatment, so I decided to offer an olive branch.

"What do you fancy for dinner?" I asked Mandy.

"Nothing. I ate when I went and saw Jane." I stood up and grabbed my car keys, without a word i left the house. I went to my local bar to have something to eat and a few drinks, while I was there Mandy sent me a text message.

"When will you be home?"

"Don't know" was my reply. I never got any response after that. It was about nine o'clock when I returned home, Mandy was watching TV. I sat down without saying a word.

"So, is this how it's going to be?" Mandy asked.

"Not at all. We can talk if that's what you want. We can even discuss you carrying a baby for Jane, so long as you forget about dipshit fucking you." I replied. Mandy winced at my reply. "You know my feelings on the subject Mandy, there is no way on this earth I am letting him have sex with you."

Mandy sat for a few minutes, finally she stood and went upstairs. I heard the bedroom door close. I sat and thought about the situation, much more of this and I would file for a divorce using unreasonable behaviour as the reason. I turned the TV off and went to bed. Mandy was asleep, or pretending to be when I got into bed.

On Sunday morning Mandy actually spoke to me, albeit it was to ask if I wanted eggs on toast for breakfast. After breakfast I went to get my Dad's trailer, the kids thought I was there to collect them.

"I'll be back with your Mum later to collect you two. Have they behaved themselves?" I asked my Dad.

"As good as gold Rob. Have you had a good weekend?" My Dad winked at me, I shrugged my shoulders in return.

"What's up, you two had a bust up?"

"Sort of Dad." I briefly explained what had happened on Friday night and how things had been since. My Dad agreed I was in the right, he didn't like Terry much either.

After taking all the junk to the tip I returned home to clean up, I took a shower and let Mandy know I was ready for us to go and collect the kids. She picked up her handbag and walked out to the car. At Mum and Dad's Mandy said hello to them both and talked to the kids, my Dad let me know that he clued Mum in on what was happening. Dad and I stood talking as Mum led Mandy out to the garden, they stood talking while they watched the kids play. I don't know what Mum said but it got very animated, Mandy spent a lot of the time looking at the ground.

We said our goodbyes and left for home a short while later, Mandy didn't talk to me in the car. Kevin ran out to the garden with his football, Milly sat in the lounge reading a book. Mandy started cooking dinner, I sat at the table watching her.

"Did you have to tell your parents?" Mandy asked.

"I didn't plan on it. Dad knew there was something wrong when i picked up the trailer, i gave him the short version of what has happened so far this weekend. Besides it can't hurt for them to know, it saves them asking why if I file for a divorce." Mandy spun around so quickly she nearly fell over.

"Divorce? Are you going to divorce me for doing nothing?"

"No. But I will divorce you if you have sex with Terry. Given that your sister asked me what I would do if you got pregnant, I'm guessing she didn't know about my vasectomy. So was that their next plan, get Terry to knock you up and pass it off as mine?"

"Terry did suggest it. I told him that idea was a non-starter."

"So you and him are still looking for a way that he gets to fuck you?" Mandy shrugged her shoulders.

I got up and walked out to the garden, from there I headed up into the annexe. Minutes later Mandy walked in.

"What are you doing here, Rob?"

"Just making sure all the junk is out. I don't want you to have to clear out heavy items if you are pregnant, we both know dipshit won't help you. Jane will but he won't." Mandy burst into tears and walked out, finally it seemed that she realised how serious I was being.

I went into the garden and kicked the ball about with Kevin. Dinner was quiet for a change, I doubt the kids knew what was wrong, but even they were quieter than usual. I washed the dishes while Mandy helped the kids get their stuff sorted for school the next day. Later when the kids were in bed, Mandy came downstairs after making sure they were both in bed. I was out in the garden, she walked out and stopped suddenly when she saw me smoking a cigarette.

"I thought you gave those up?" Mandy asked.

"I did. It's for the stress, one of these is easier than a bottle of booze." Mandy shook her head and went back indoors.

The following week was pretty much the same as the weekend, we barely spoke to each other. I took to going out for a cigarette every evening when the kids were in bed. Each night I went to bed and turned away from Mandy, a few times I heard her sigh. One time I heard her crying softly.

It was on Wednesday of the following week that Mandy spoke to me. "Jane has asked if we can go over to their place on Friday night, can I say we will both be there?"

"You can." I replied, and added. "Tell her if that idiot husband of hers makes one smartarsed comment or smirks at me, i'll kick the crap out of him there and then." Mandy nodded and managed a slight smile.

I sat and thought about what I had just agreed to, in one way I hoped Terry did get out of line. As I had agreed to go, I would wait and see what happened. One thing was sure, I would be as prepared as I could be.

On Friday evening we dropped the kids off at my parents house, I promised we would collect them on Saturday morning. I felt guilty dumping them there so often. Mandy drove to her sister's house, I sat silently in the passenger seat. When we pulled up at a traffic light I looked out of the window. I stared as I watched Terry walk into a shitty looking hotel with a woman, I said nothing to Mandy.

Jane showed us indoors, and Mandy asked where Terry was.

"He's had to work late." Jane replied. "He said he will get here as soon as he can." I struggled to keep my mouth shut. Jane made some coffee, we went and sat in the lounge.

"Okay you asked us here, what for?" I asked.

"Christ, Rob. Do you have to be so rude?" Mandy hissed at me.

"No, I just want to know why we are here. If this is another night like the other week then I'll go call a taxi right now." Jane looked at me, I could see she was nervous.

"Can we wait for Terry to get home? I prefer him to be here." Jame asked.

"Personally, I prefer him not to be here." I replied. That got me a cold stare from Mandy.

"Rob, what do you have against Terry?" Jane asked.

"I don't like him, and I certainly don't trust him."

"Whyever not?" Jane asked me, Mandy was sitting looking pissed off with me.

"The reason I don't like him is simple, he thinks he is better than everyone else and has a cocky attitude. The reason I don't trust him is because I know he lies to you." Jane had a confused look on her face. "When we arrived here you told us Terry was working late."

"He called and told me he was." Jane interrupted.

"He might well have told you he's working. On the way over here I saw Terry, he wasn't working. Unless you call entering a cheap motel with a blonde woman working."

"Where was that?" Mandy asked.

"At the traffic lights as we left town. I didn't say anything as you were driving. Now you know why I don't like Terry." I sat back and let what I had said sink in.

Mandy moved over and knelt beside Jane, she tried to comfort her. Mandy stared at me, she wasn't impressed that I dropped the bombshell like I did. To be honest I didn't give a shit, they discussed that bastard getting Mandy pregnant without me. In my mind it was fair payback. Jane was crying as Mandy tried to calm her down, just then there was a knock at the door. As i was nearest i answered it.

There stood a scruffy young woman holding a bag with a baby sling on her front. "Can I help you?" I asked.

"Is this where Terry Ramsden lives?" I nodded. "Can I come in please?" I showed the girl inside.

"Terry isn't here right now, can we help you?" I asked, Jane and Mandy looked up and stared at the woman.

"I was hoping to see Terry. He hasn't been in touch since I gave birth to his daughter."

"His what?" June jumped up.

"Who are you?" The girl asked as she looked at Jane.

"I'm Terry's wife. Who the hell are you?" Jane yelled at the girl. Mandy got her sister to calm down, the look of shock on my wifes face was plain for all to see.

"You're nothing like Terry described you." The girl replied.

"Miss, sorry I didn't get your name. Would you like to sit down?" I offered.

The young woman walked over and sat in the armchair. "My name is Kelsey, Kelsey Trent. Terry is my boyfriend, or at least I thought he was. When I found out I was pregnant he promised to help me."

"I watched as Kelsey held back tears. "Terry said he was divorcing his wife, we would be together and raise the baby. I haven't seen him since Alice was born." Jane was sitting with her face in her hands, mostly in shock. "Sorry but you are nothing like Terry described you."

"How did Terry describe me?" Jane asked, as she held back the tears.

"He said you were an overweight ugly frigid bitch! Sorry, his words, not mine. I can see you are nothing like he said. I had better go, I am sorry for any trouble I have caused coming here."

"Why did you come here?" Jane asked. "Was it to rub my nose in it?"

"No. I came here so Terry could see his daughter. I was going to ask him for some money, I need to buy stuff for Alice." I stood and looked at this young woman, unable to believe Terry had lied to her.

"Where do you live, Kelsey?" I asked.

Kelsey couldn't face me. "In a squat near the river. Terry told me we would live in a house and everything. I'm sorry, I had better go. Tell Terry if he doesn't contact me I am putting Alice up for adoption, I can't afford a kid with what I get in benefits." Kelsey stood up getting ready to leave.

"Wait! Please sit down, Kelsey. What do you need for Alice?" Jane asked.

"Money for milk and nappies. I only have a few nappies left." Kelsey explained. We all turned suddenly as we heard the door open. Terry stepped inside apologising for being late. Jane turned on him as soon as the door closed. Mandy moved to be close to Kelsey, I stood by as Jane tore into Terry. When he yelled and slapped her I lost it, stepping forward I punched him hard in the face. Terry fell backwards into the wall, I punched him again when he bounced off the wall. Before I could get another punch in, he ran out of the door. I gave chase but he roared off tyres squealing as he left.

"Sorry he got away." I apologised as I stepped indoors.

Jane was rubbing her face where Terry slapped her, I asked if she was okay.

"I'll be okay, Rob. Can you give me a hand? Mandy, can you look after Kelsey and Alice?"

I followed Jane upstairs, she wanted me to go into the loft and get two cases for Terry's clothes. I helped her pack his stuff before I carried the cases downstairs.

"Put them on the doorstep, please Rob. Kelsey, you are welcome to stay here if you want. Tomorrow I will take you to get what you need for Alice." Jane suggested, Kelsey was crying. I think she realised that Terry was full of shit and had played her.

I suggested we stay the night in case Terry returned. "No, that's fine Rob. We have put you through enough lately, we will be okay. When you leave I will put the deadbolt on, if he comes back and starts trouble, I'll call the police." Both Mandy and I tried to convince Jane, but she said it was okay.

As we drove home I had that I told you so look on my face. Mandy commented that being smug didn't suit me. "I know we have a lot to talk about, but you being so smug right now is not going to help."

"Sorry. After all the stress and shit you three put me through recently, it's nice to be proved right."

"Did you know he was cheating on Jane?" Mandy asked.

"No. Not until tonight. I suspected it, but had no proof."

We crawled into bed, and I fell asleep almost immediately. In the morning we found out that Jane sent Terry a text after we left telling him his stuff was outside, it was gone when she woke up. I went to collect our kids from my parents house. Both of them were shocked when I retold last night's events.

As it was raining the kids went to their rooms. When I checked later Milly was colouring in a drawing, Kevin was reading a football magazine my Dad gave him. Mandy told me Kelsey would be staying with Jane for a while, she felt it was the least she could do for her.

"Are we going to be okay, Rob? I know it's my fault and we have to talk."

"We do have to talk, Mandy. Yes it is your fault, but I think we will be okay. I will say one thing though. If you ever suggest a fucking crazy idea like that again, i'll divorce you without missing a heartbeat." Mandy burst into tears and came to me for a hug, I gave in and hugged her as she cried.

That night we talked, Mandy admitted she got caught up in the rush of helping her sister, Terry just added to the pressure on her. I made my views known, Mandy would never suggest anything like it again. She admitted that she didn't love him, she just wanted to help them have a baby. For the first time in weeks we went to bed and made love, Mandy cried afterwards knowing what she nearly threw away for a dipshit.

We never saw Terry again, when Jane tried to contact him she found out he had quit his job. I did wonder if there were other kids out there that he had fathered and abandoned. After a month of living with Jane, Kelsey disappeared, leaving Alice behind. Kelsey made an excuse about a doctor's appointment, she never came back. She left a letter stating she couldn't manage being a Mum, she hoped Jane would be okay looking after Alice.

As part of the divorce Jane had to sell the house, half the equity went to Terry, if he turned up to collect it. Jane spoke to a lawyer about adopting Alice, she had taken to motherhood like a natural. As Terry was named as the father and Kelsey had disappeared it looked pretty easy for her to adopt Alice. The process dragged on but eventually Jane legally adopted Alice. Not wanting to see Jane struggle, Jane and Alice moved into the annexe over our garage. Mandy and I decorated it, Jane paid for the materials. It had two bedrooms, albeit both small but they would suffice.

They lived independently from us, although we saw a fair amount of them both. My only rule was that Mandy and I were not there to be babysitters at the drop of a hat. Jane assured me that after the way Terry had played around she would probably be single for a long time. As Alice grew older both of my kids took an interest in her.

Kevin was very protective in a big brother sort of way, Milly was still quiet but paid a lot of attention to Alice. Mandy suggested that Jane join us for dinner a few nights each week, I agreed so long as it wasnt every night.

Terry did eventually collect the money he was owed. He contacted the lawyer that Jane used for the divorce, he took the cash and left a letter for Jane. Jane read the letter and threw it in the bin, she told Mandy it was a poor excuse for an apology. Jane did tell me that Terry was not likely to return, apparently he was worried about what I would do to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.